Founded in 1948, the club, later known as The Municipal Bond Women’s Club of New York, is a registered 501(C)(6) professional society located in New York with its first address at One Exchange Plaza, 55 Broadway, New York 22, NY. Their website describes the club as follows:
In 1948, eight businesswomen founded “The Municipal Bond women’s Club of New York”, in order to foster association among women engaged in the Municipal Bond Business. Providing information about the marketplace as well as forum for members to exchange career advice, this organization is a source of counsel, support, and camaraderie for women working in a field that is constantly changing.
The Museum of American Finance archives contain the club’s correspondence and documents from 1948 to 1961 relating to:
Among the newspaper clippings in the collection, is one from the New York Herald Tribune of May 3, 1949 with the headline “Record Attendance at United States Steel Annual Meeting”. One photo shows Wilma Soss clad in Victorian garb addressing the board chairman. Mrs. Soss was noted for pressing the cause women a voice in corporate America as stockholders and board members. She continued to attend annual meetings of major corporations, often interrupting their agendas until the year of her death 1986 at the age of 86. The collection also contains a copy of a New York Sun article of May 8, 1949 which describes her activities and goals.